Buffalo County > Register of Deeds
Gann Valley, SD
Buffalo County Courthouse
112 Osman Avenue
Gann Valley, SD 57341

Elaine Wulff, Register of Deeds
PO Box 174
Gann Valley, SD 57341
Phone: (605) 293-3239
Fax: (605) 293-3240
Welcome to the Buffalo County Register of Deeds Office.  This office provides several services
to the county and is the primary county record-keeping and archival office.  This is also an
excellent source for genealogy information.

The county Register of Deeds issues and/or files marriage licenses, birth and death
certificates, burial permits, real estate transactions (including deeds, mortgages and
mortgage transfers), federal and state tax liens, state unemployment tax liens, military
discharge records, and business name registrations.  The Register of Deeds is also
responsible for recording all liens, survey plat certificates, and county welfare liens.  The
Register of Deeds is the official county record keeper.

Following is a list of our main functions and available records:

  • VITAL RECORDS:  Certified copies are available for birth, death, and marriage, at a cost
    of $15 per copy.  Buffalo County does not accept credit cards for online orders;
    however, for your convenience, you can process online requests though an
    independent company that we have partnered with to provide you this service:  
    VitalChek Network, Inc.  VitalChek can be reached either through their web site, www.
    vitalchek.com, or by phone at 1-800-255-2414.  An Additional fee is charged by
    VitalChek for using this service, and all major credit cards are accepted, including
    American Express, Discover, Mastercard or Visa.

  • MARRIAGE LICENSES:  Cost is $40.  The license is valid for 20 days from the date of

  • REAL ESTATE DOCUMENTS:  Recording of plats, deeds, mortgages, satisfactions,
    assignments, etc.

  • FILINGS:  
  • Filing of fictitious or Business Names
  • UCC filings (fixture filings attached to the land only)
  • Filing of liens (hospital, county, mechanics, federal, & state tax liens)
  • Filing of Military Discharge
  • Filing dam/dugout locations notices
Helpful Links